For Sugar syrup
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp saffron (kesar) strands
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 200 gms flour
- Ghee or oil for deep fry of malpuas
- 1 ½ litre Milk
- 1 litre Milk
- 1cup sugar
- Chopped Slivered almonds and pistachios for garnishing
How to make Syrup
- In a pan, mix 2 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar and boil. Keep on boiling the syrup until you get a single-thread consistency.
- When the syrup is ready add the cardamom powder and saffron strands and mix well. Keep the syrup aside.
How to make Malpuas
- Boil milk in a heavy-bottomed pan. Reduce heat and simmer till it is reduced
- Add refined flour, green cardamom powder and 2 tsp. of sugar to the reduced milk. Mix well and make a batter of pouring consistency using a little milk if required
- Heat enough ghee in a flat bottomed frying pan to cook the malpuas.
- Cook till golden brown. Remove from the oil
- When the oil is hot, use a ladle to gently pour the batter into the oil to form circles about 4″ in diameter.
- and put directly into the sugar syrup.
- Remove after 2-3 minutes and drain on a wire rack with a plate underneath to catch the dripping syrup.
How to make Rabri
- Mix the milk and 1 cup of sugar in a thick-bottomed pan and cook to reduce it to a fourth of its original volume. Stir frequently or the milk will burn at the bottom of the pan.
- When the milk has thickened as above, remove it from the fire, allow it cool and then chill in the refrigerator.
Serve the malpuas in a plate with a spoon of rabri over them and garnish with slivered nuts.
Tip – In place of rabri, cream can also be used for garnishing.
Image Credit: anjali-cooklog.blogspot.com